So regional competitions are done! Spring concerts and recitals are over! Welcome to the Done Club! Now you or your dancers are off to summer training intensives and national competitions. I’m sure you all have your hair ties, sports bras and booty shorts, but here are some must-haves to keep all you all safe this summer while you’re away!
- SNEAKERS. A good cross-training sneaker should do the trick. Feet need to be supported during those walks between floors from one class to another, to and from the subway, or across campus. I know it’s tempting because your feet are hot and tired, but believe me, a good supportive shoe is your best to keep your feet safe over unfamiliar terrains.
- INSULATED WATER BOTTLE. We all know that hydration is important, but if you can, get an insulated water bottle that will help keep your water chilled for those hot summer walks and waits at the train stop.
- RIDESHARE APP. This one REALLY hits home for me. In 1996 while I was at summer dance intensive at Alvin Ailey American Dance Center, I missed my train stop and ended up many blocks from my dorm. I 16 and I was completely lost (in booty shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt of course), and it was dark. I was appalled that the police wouldn’t help me find my way back and I was scared out of my mind. I walked for blocks until I figured my way back to my dorm and cried myself to sleep. Needless to say, technology these days has come a long way and I would have loved to just ordered an Uber to take me where I needed to go. Dancers – talk to you parents and have them set you up an account for emergencies only. Big cities can be scary, but at least you’ll have a safer option to find your way when you need it.
- PORTABLE PHONE CHARGER AND CORD. I don’t think this needs explanation, just don’t forget it!!!
- MEDICAL ID. Good for parents to consider in case of emergencies. On the iPhone, the phone does not have to be unlocked to access Medical ID. At the minimal, age, drug and food allergies, majormedical conditions, and emergency contact numbers can help personnel give prompt care when needed. Click here to learn how to setup Medical ID on your iPhone.
I hope you all have a great summer! Stay safe and happy dancing!